Diary of a computer engineer trying to start a software business. Dilemma between idealistic self and realistic world... how is he going to survive?

Friday, January 21, 2005

Setting up Wireless Router

TygerSoft gets a system upgrade!
Actually, I got a new toy (ironically, I had this for a year and didn't bother to install it). It was a gift from signing up local DSL ISP (My previous ISP).
Cutting the misc stories short, let's go straight to the meat.

Let's discuss the tools first, what I had before, what I want to accomplish, what do I need to accomplish, and how do I do that.

What I had:
1 Desktop server with 1 LAN card
1 Laptop (modem, wireless lan, lan)
1 DSL modem
1 straight (there are no gay lines- Quoting from my grade 12 Math teacher Mr. Wei) RJ45

What I want to accomplish:
Get both boxes efficient internet access, security, and flexability to perform any possible tasks that TygerSoft requires with respect to the cost factor.

What I need:
I have a wireless router
1 Straight RJ-45

How to set it up is a bit tricky.
First of all, the physical setup (see image):



I will explain physical network setup in greater detail in another article (Will add link to that as soon it is finished).

Once all the physical setup are in place, here comes the tricky part (the part I actually checked manual for it). First, connect to the wireless router (it also has 4 RJ45 ports) by typing it's virtual ip. IP address with 192.168.x.x are usually for local setup purposes like this example.

Once connected, set up the username and password (always do this first before anything else for security reasons). Usually, we should try to get local security settings setup correctly before trying to connect to WAN. This way can reduce lots of unwanted intrusion attempts.

Connection Type setup:
After the initial setups, head to the connection type settings. Since I have a PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet), I would require my username and password. I've chose continues, this way, I don't have to manually dial each time I access internet.

Wireless AP Setup:
Alias, Channel, Essid are the basics for setting up a wireless LAN. Personally, I like Encryption + Wireless Access Control (via Mac address). I don't like people to jack my network. Encryption, I've selected 128-bit ket length. Good enough for most of BF attacks.

NAT (Network Address Translation):
For allows multiple users at your local site to access the Internet through a single Public IP Address or multiple Public IP Addresses. NAT provides Firewall protection from hacker attacks and has the flexibility to allow you to map Private IP Addresses to Public IP Addresses for key services such as the Web or FTP.

Firewall:
basic way to keep basic intrusions away.

Second last stage, connect to WAN

Last stage, TEST TEST TEST, test all the functionalities you desired, you modified.

You are done!
Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home